by Mary Pat McCartney, M.Ed.
Grades 3-5. It’s time for standardized tests. All thoughts are on how well your students will measure up to national and local expectations. They’ve been taught what needed to be taught, but will they remember the information? Will they take the test seriously? Will they know how to best take the test? If you’re not sure, it’s time for Focus On The Test. This five-lesson classroom or small-group program presents effective test-taking strategies and relates them to the word FOCUS. Each lesson emphasizes one of the letters of the word and students learn:
- F is for FACE IT: FACE IT refers to having a positive attitude about tests and paying attention.
- O is for ORGANIZE IT: ORGANIZE your body in a testing position, work at a medium pace, and organize the answer choices.
- C is for CONQUER IT: CONQUER negative feelings about taking tests and use brain power to beat the test!
- U is for UNDERSTAND IT: Read carefully so you Understand what you read. Hear the words in your mind. Underline key words and absolutes like all, never, etc.
- S is for SCAN IT: SCAN the entire test when you’re finished. Check for any “trouble with the bubble” or skipped sections.
Modalities used to hold students’ interest include posters, activities, and worksheets. Students’ weekly entries reflect their comprehension of the concept presented and how they will incorporate it into their test-taking procedures.
Paperback, 64 pages, ISBN: 9781575431697
Additional Product Info
|Recommended ages:||Ages 8 through 10|
|Grade level:||Grades 3 through 5|